An incentive spirometer is a lung expansion device that helps you breathe deeply and properly.
During the first use of an incentive spirometer, it is necessary to remove the flexible tube with the mouthpiece from the bag. Pull out the tube and connect it to the outlet located at the base on the right. The mouthpiece will be on the other end of the tube.
Using a stimulating spirometer
While using an incentive spirometer, breathe through your mouth. When breathing through the nose, the spirometer will not work properly. If necessary, you can pinch your nose.
If you feel dizzy, take a break and rest. Please try again later.
To use an incentive spirometer, follow the instructions below:
- Sit flat on a chair or bed. Place the device at eye level. If you have had surgery on your chest or abdomen, hug a pillow or place it over a cut (a surgical incision) while using a spirometer;
- Place the mouthpiece in your mouth and squeeze your lips tightly around it. Take a slow deep breath (exhale);
- Take a slow, deep breath (inhale) through your mouth. When you inhale, you will see how the piston rises inside the large chamber. As the piston rises, the indicator on the right will move up. It should be between the two arrows;
- Try to raise the piston as high as possible while holding the pointer between the arrows. If the indicator is not between the arrows, it means that you are breathing too fast or too slowly;
- When you lift the piston as high as you can, hold your breath for 10 seconds or for as long as possible for you. In this case, the piston will slowly lower to the base of the spirometer;
- As soon as the piston reaches the the lowest point of the spirometer, exhale slowly through the mouth. Rest for a few seconds;
- Repeat 10 times. Try to raise the piston to the same level with each breath;
- After each set of 10 breaths, cough, if necessary, hold the pillow over the seam. Coughing will help eliminate mucus from the lungs;
- Mark with a marker the level reached by the piston in the stimulating spirometer. It will be your guide in the next lesson.
Repeat these steps every hour while awake.
If you are not using the device, cover the mouthpiece with a lid.